Saturday, January 23, 2021

Why Are You Leaving?

The First Disciples
Mark 1.16-20 

16 One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon[g] and his brother Andrew throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. 17 Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” 18 And they left their nets at once and followed him.

19 A little farther up the shore Jesus saw Zebedee’s sons, James and John, in a boat repairing their nets. 20 He called them at once, and they also followed him, leaving their father, Zebedee, in the boat with the hired men.

Footnotes
1:16 Simon is called “Peter” in 3:16 and thereafter.


What a week. (...sigh...) 

I received a call from my District Superintendent (my supervisor/pastor) and was told I will be serving next in Eaton Rapids. It is just 15 minutes from our farm, so that is pretty amazing considering I could be moved anywhere in the lower or upper peninsula of Michigan. I also think it is a good match of needs and gifts. But leaving the family that has already been placed in your care?? Now, that's the hard part. 

"Why are you leaving?"
"Are you kidding me? Seriously, you're leaving??"
"I am so pissed right now!"
"I don't want another pastor! I want you! You are my pastor!"
"You were the reason I started attending MUMC! You can't go!" 

As I read this scripture in Mark earlier this morning, I wondered if Peter, James, and John's family all cried out similarly. 

"Why are you leaving?"
"Are you kidding me? Seriously, you're leaving??"
"I am so pissed right now!"
"I don't want you to go! I want you here! You are my son!"
"You were the reason I started fishing! You can't go!" 

Yet, when Jesus called, they went. It's funny how we all read scripture and mostly, agree with it... until it turns and applies to us. Then we're like "I don't think so!" It's like we understand the needs that God shows us in scripture, but we just find it hard to believe those same needs are in our lives. 

Of course, when God calls, we should follow. 
Of course, when Jesus is in need, we should help. 
Of course, when others down the road are on God's heart, then they ought to be on ours. 
But "our" pastor?? Our friend?? Our teacher or counselor or leader?? 

And so we listen, we love, we offer words of comfort and hope, knowing all will be well. It will work out. God is also calling someone else (with gifts I don't have!) to come and care for my family at MUMC. They will fall in love, in time, as we had. And one day, they too will be called onward. 

So goes discipleship. 
Jesus calls. 
The disciple follows. 
Others cry out "Why!?!" 
And the answer is always the same:

Jesus calls. 

4 comments:

  1. You will be missed and YOU were a big part of why we chose MUMC. But we will remain friends and in touch. We look forward to meeting your replacement, but they have a big spot to fill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your words are salve to the soul. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Your words are salve to the soul. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love you, but I have been in the Church my whole life and know that ministers come and ministers go, but the Church remains. Praise God. We have indeed been a very fortunate Church to have you as our friend and spiritual leader. Now is the time for us to share and wish you the very best at your new location. May they love you like we do.

    ReplyDelete