Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Oh, Lord! Have Mercy!

Psalm 19.7-14

7 The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8 The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are clear, giving insight for living. 9 Reverence for the Lord is pure, lasting forever. The laws of the Lord are true; each one is fair. 10 They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb. 11 They are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them. 

12 How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. 13 Keep your servant from deliberate sins! Don’t let them control me. Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin. 

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.


Hard to believe it has been over a month since last stopping in here to share a few words. Life. It just gets so crazy! Being appointed to a new community in July, I have been working with the new staff and leadership as I learn where they have been and where they are going. At the same time, I am working with my current staff and Leadership to prepare them for the change. Did I mention I took several classes this year to grow as a Christian?? Yah. Might have waited on that if I had known about the move. But they are great and certainly help fill me back up when I empty out. Add to all this, trying to schedule and plan and officiate many funerals and weddings that were either put on hold last year due to Covid or simply want before I leave and we have quite the busy late winter and spring at MUMC! 

And yet... God calls for our attention. God knows that in the midst of busyness it is easy to lose sight of the One who can help us through the maze of life. That's why daily devotions are so important. They ground us, reminding us of who we are and whose we are. 

Psalm19 has always been a go to text for me. "
The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul." Who doesn't need a revival of soul coming out of last year?!?! Cheez whiz! That was a crazy one. Of course we need revival of our souls. So we take the time and read God's word. We quiet ourselves in case God has something to say to us. And we allow God to direct our path, to keep us safe from temptation and sin, to heal our brokenness and give us rest. 

Deep
abiding
rest. 

Take a look at that spoon full of honey. Think about all the work it took those busy little bees to make it. All the work they had at protecting their Queen. All the work farmers had to harvest it, sifting it, bottling it, and getting it to each of our tables. It pours slowly like molten gold. Bubbles of oxygen trickle throughout. And when it touches our tongues?? Sheer delight. 

God's word and instruction is the same. Yes, it takes work and dedication to absorb it daily. Yes, it takes an effort to fit it all in. And yes, when we do, it will taste like fresh honey from the combs, dripping like gold all over our hearts and minds. Oh Lord! Have mercy on my soul. Have mercy on my schedule. Have mercy on my days and hours. May they include you at every step.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for helping me to stop,slow down and spend time in quiet to talk with my Lord.

    ReplyDelete