Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Truth


I struggled with what to write my article on today.  If I would not have read an article on Facebook this morning, I would have taken the “safe” route and talked about submission, giving ourselves up for the sake of the other, Good Friday and all that Christ gave up, or the Resurrection and New Life we call Jesus.  But darn that Facebook!  I did read it, and it has disturbed my soul ever since. 

Seems the infamous scanty panty company Victoria Secrets has luanched a new line of lingerie meant for college age, but are underhandedly being promoted to teenage girls as well.  And just so you know I am anything but a Puritan or “Footloose” basher expecting young girls to wear 2 gallon size whities that rest on their waste line.  If the bright young things were simply bright undies in wonderful all-growed-up colors or prints and rest below the belly button, they would truly be for young things.  But these “Bright Young Things” are in the shapes of thongs and other scanty panties with phrases on them like “call me” and “feeling lucky?” O.K. Call me prude.  This is crazy.  And yes, for those who will say “we should be responsible for our own kids and not buy this type of smut for them”, good start.  But that isn’t even the point. 

The point is we as a society continue to put our young girls out in the world as objects of gratification for others.  The world will see the ads and so will our young boys.  Men who are “purchasing” another child as a sex slave (and yes, thousands of little girls are sold into the industry here in America each year…) will get another rubber stamp on their already thwarted minds and souls.  Uncles and step dads, just as my own had, will legitimize their attraction to children in their lives and another little 7 year old will be molested in her own home. 

Crazy?  Ridiculous connections here?  No.  There are plenty of studies out there that confirm exactly the connections I lay out here.  The fact is, the true character of a nation is how they treat their least and most vulnerable.  Our character scares me.  If the idea of having a sex-laden lingerie line for teen girls disturbs you as well, please take a few moments and write a letter to Victoria Secrets, North American Office, P.O. Box 16589, Columbus, Ohio 43216-6589, U.S.A., or leave a comment online at customercare@victoriasecret.com.  If we sit back and say nothing, are we not part of the problem?  (…give me a moment to get off the soap box…)

I sat in the back row of a church one dark night, watching others praise God and act as though they actually found joy in their lives.  I did not.  I only wanted out.  At that moment, the One who hung on the cross, the One who bled and died a horrific death, the One who was found missing in the tomb three days later, that One spoke to me… little ole’ sin-stained me… and he said “Do you know you are a daughter to the King of kings?” 

My answer after a brief silence was “No. No I didn’t.” 

His response was “Well, you are.” 

And my life has never been the same.  Never.  The pain, the anguish, the filth that was poured over me by one abuser after another… the names I had given myself through my teen years (ugly, used, whore, slut) were all washed away… and emptiness that had bored deep into my soul was filled for the first time in my life!  I was a daughter to the King.  That made me a Princess.  Not just any princess but a Princess to the King.  A daughter that was adored, protected, and loved; truly loved. 

Easter is more than bunnies and eggs.  It is the moment a wretch like me was given hope.  The Way, the Truth, and the Life was resurrected that day… and the rest of us have been given new Life ever since.  Little girls being held in slavery, young boys being molested in their own homes, middler women who struggle with depression, and elderly fellows who have lived a life of complacency… and everyone else in between.  We have all been given new Life in Christ.  Happy Easter my good friends.  Happy Easter.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my beautiful sister Princess, I hope you will share this to Facebook. Thanks for branching out and not taking the safe route.

    ReplyDelete