Sunday, March 17, 2013

P.R.A.Y.


As we moved forward another week into our Lenten study on the spiritual disciplines, prayer was the area of focus.  Within prayer are four easily remembered subcategories: P. R. A. Y.  When used daily in conversation with God, the discipline of prayer can add another depth to our personal faith and relationship with our Creator. 

P is a great reminder to Praise.  Praise the one who clears the way for rain and sun, sleep and work, forgiveness and growth, grandchildren and nice warm mocha coffee each morning.  It’s easy to forget all that we have and are blessed with.  I spent the night with one of my daughter-in-laws last night to lend a hand while my son is back in Haiti for a couple weeks.  I knew full well before I left my home that a coffee pot would not be in the vicinity.  So I got creative.  I brought along a few grounds, a pack of hot chocolate and a coffee filter.  This morning I was able to heat up a bit of water in a pan, and then plop in a coffee filter stuffed with grounds, twisted tight at the top, and then securely closed with packing tape.  A few bobbles of the filter pack and voila!  Fresh hot coffee!  Add a packet of hot chocolate and now we’re talking business. 

As I read the new blogs up this morning from our Haiti Team #2, I see they are getting creative too.  While attempting to paint the new Merlet Community Center, it seems a paint roller on a thin wobbly stick wasn’t getting it.  So the bossman (foreman) got out his handy dandy machete and whittled them a new, sturdier version.  My point is this, often we don’t recognize all we have until we don’t have it: mocha coffee each morning, sturdy painting extenders, homes with indoor plumbing and running water, and the list goes on.  Not to mention loved ones, coworkers, neighbors, and friends.  Just remember to say “thank you.”

R is a moment to repent; turn and go in the other direction.  It’s easy in any given day to become selfish, snotty, haughty, not to mention more vicious sins like hatred, lying, and hurting others.  So take a moment in your prayers today (and every day) to repent.  I simply start with “I’m sorry…” and then finish the phrase over and over until there is nothing else I need to turn from.  And then I ask for God to forgive me.  Graciously, he does.

Next is A for ask… and ask… and ask… I ask for needs of those around me, those who have asked me to pray for them, those I see injustice happening to, those who are suffering, and I toss myself on the heap, as well.  “Please help me to be more organized, less selfish, and this whole sugar thing… could you help me with that too Lord?  I’m really struggling here and could use some strength.”  Jesus said once that we don’t have because we don’t ask.  Hmmmm… there’s some food for thought.

And lastly Y is for yield.  Yield to the Lord God Almighty that gave you breath in your mother’s womb.  Yield to the One who saved you from your own sin and death.  Yield to the God and Creator who wants the very best for you.  Jesus also reminds us that if we take special care to provide for the needs of our own children, then how much more does our Father in heaven?  Way more.  More than we can even comprehend.  So why not yield?  What is there to fear?  What is best for us?  What we never could think of ourselves?  Are you kidding me?? Giving self fully to God each and every day will bless our lives and the lives of those around us in such incredible ways, we can’t even imagine.  So give it up… and start living the life God intended for you… and along the way… P. R. A. Y.  

No comments:

Post a Comment