Sunday, March 17, 2013

Dry, Parched, Crumpled and Withered


It’s hard to believe it was just Christmas, but it was! And now it is just a few weeks from Easter.  Where does time go? A day used to contain 24 hours, but recently it has been whittled down to maybe a mere 16 or 18.  I’m not sure how that happened, but I truly believe it has.  Those few hours get eaten up so very quickly with things that were never even a part of our vocabulary 20 years ago. 

For instance, do you remember writing I don’t know, maybe 20 or 30 letters a day to friends or family?  I remember junk mail was a real issue, but I certainly don’t remember getting 25 to 30 flyers, coupons, or other correspondence in my mailbox each day.  Then there’s the whole constant chatter thing.  Do you remember the phone ringing off the hook like maybe 40 or 50 times a day with a friend asking if you like the same companies they do, or how you feel about an article they read in the paper, or them dropping by to show you a picture they like and thought maybe you would like too?... Me either.

As nice as it can be to have email, texting, and social media sites like Facebook or Twitter, it seems to me they are stealing the hours of my day at a break neck pace.  And if I recall correctly, they were each birthed in order to SAVE us time!  I cannot remember the last time any of them saved me time… not really.  Now, I am not saying I am willing to boycott them or leave my membership or become a social recluse (though I did think about all three… for a while…)  But I do need to consciously work at stopping their power and authority to take my days away, hour by hour, minute by minute. 

Especially now, during Lent, as we prepare our hearts to stand before the open tomb of Easter morn (but any other time, as well) we need to stand tall and reclaim our time.  As I have been teaching on the spiritual disciplines these past weeks, it has become apparent that these are called disciplines for a reason.  If we are not purposeful and disciplined about including them in our lives, they likely will never happen.  So this week we are focusing on meditation. 

Psalm 1 sings out “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.  That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.”  Oh, how I want to be planted along that stream of water!  Please, nourish me Lord! I get so dry and chapped and feel as though I could be blown away in the wind if it were not for those extra pounds I put on through the holidays!  But when? When will I find time to meditate on your laws, to love You Oh Lord, and love others in my life?  Between the emails and the texts and the facebook messages and likes and bleeps and tweets of a twittering, chirping, obnoxious compute?  [sigh] Okay. Okay. I get it.  I won’t find this time, but I can make this time. 

Each of us can find 10 or 20 minutes each day, even before the computer gets turned on, and we can just breath.  No purpose.  No response.  Just breath.  And after we have found ourselves breathing for several minutes, uninterrupted by the outer world, then we can actually turn to scripture and be fed.  We can plant our roots along the stream’s edge and allow God to filter up into our veins the Living Water that brings new life day in and day out.  If we don’t, Christmas will turn to Easter and Easter to summer and summer to fall and before you know it, we will find ourselves dry and parched, crumpled and withered, floating away in the wind… extra ten pounds on our rear, or not…

No comments:

Post a Comment