Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tran·si·tion /tranˈziSHən/


Tran·si·tion  /tranˈziSHən/ The process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another. Proc·ess /ˈpräˌses/ A series of actions or steps taken to achieve an end.  Pe·ri·od /ˈpi(ə)rēəd/ A length or portion of time.  Change /CHānj/ Make or become different.  State /stāt/ The particular condition that someone or something is in at a specific time. Con·di·tion /kənˈdiSHən/ The state of something, esp. with regard to its appearance, quality, or working order.  An·oth·er /əˈnəT͟Hər/ Used to refer to an additional person or thing of the same type as one already mentioned or known about.

Okay. So let’s get this right.  Transition is a series of actions or steps taken, or a length or portion of time that is made, or becomes different from one particular state or condition, to an additional state or condition, possibly similar in type to one that is already known.  Possibly.  Hmmm. No wonder transition is so darn difficult!

Honestly, nothing has really been similar.  I have been double dipping these past several weeks as I attempt to transition my current congregation from my leadership to new leadership, all the while attending staff meetings, administrative councils, and even hiring interviews for the transition we’ll be making with my new congregation.  And truth be told, it is a process.  I have long lists of steps that must be made to transition from here to there.  I have companies I need to contact to tell them to stop sending me emails that need to go to the church’s email instead.  I have files, both digital and paper, to move over to my home computer or to move off of my laptop so everyone has what they need.  I have to turn in charge cards and remove my name off of this, that, and the other, while soon I’ll be asked to add my name to similar, yet very different things. 

And then there’s the packing.  Ohhhhh, the packing.  [sigh]  It takes like forever.  Really.  Pots, pans, shoes, coats, chairs, rugs, plants and yard ornaments… my, my, my.  Talk about transition!  In order to move stuff from one state or condition to another, it must be wrapped, and packed, and taped… until you realize you need it.  And then it must be untaped, and unpacked, and unwrapped.

All at the same time, people are transitioning too.  Little children are wondering if “the new pastor will be playful like Pastor Melany.”  Adults are wondering who they will talk with when life is getting really hard.  Friends are wondering if we will remain friends once I get new friends.  Neighbors are wondering how they will get along without us in their lives.  And of course, my husband and I are wondering too.  I will miss the kids so very deeply.  I will worry about the adults I know are struggling.  I will feel guilty not being a very good friend because I’m so busy.  And I will wonder how our old neighbors are getting along. 

Is it any wonder we shudder at the word “transition”? It’s not that it’s bad.  It’s just so heavy.  Its weight can tip you over sometimes.  And may I even say… it’s exciting, all at the same time!!  I hate that about transition!  I mean, I love it, but I hate it because I don’t want to like transition, yet all of a sudden I find I love transition because it is so exhilarating to think about all the possibilities God is drumming up just around the corner…  Just around the corner… That reminds me.  I should probably get packing… or digging up plants… or moving files over… or something.  Transition is coming.  In fact, transition is well under way.  And my guess is, it probably is in your life too.  Happy transition my friends, whether in relationships, or jobs, or homes, or schools, or even stages of life… whatever transition you find yourself in.  Don’t miss the joy and excitement and child-like exploration that can be a part of it, and I will do my best to do the same.  

1 comment:

  1. One of the reasons I don't want a lot of stuff is I don't want to move it later.

    ReplyDelete