Tuesday, May 28, 2013

One Heck of a Ride!

What a rollercoaster week!  Up and down and back up again, only to creep over the peak and slowing begin picking up speed before flying to the depths…. to be caught up in the inertia of heading back up the next hill…. Life.  As both you and I know it.  Rarely do we ride the flats of life, but instead we hit the heights and depths as they naturally come.  I suppose that’s what makes us come back for more! 

This past week started out with continued news of the life-altering tornados in Moore, Oklahoma.  The images tear at my heart.  Tears run down my cheeks every time I hear another story, see another child in pain, watch another senior weep.  Yet life moved forward here in our lives and before I knew it, I was having a wonderful, playful, rip roaring good time as the kids from our community and I celebrated the year’s end with a Ho-Down.  With my overalls on and my straw hat tipped, we do se do-ed our way around the fellowship hall of the Methodist Church in Concord, hootin’ and hollerin’ along the way.  We handed out medals and ribbons to all the kids for a job well done this year, and then we huffed down some pink frosted piggy faced cupcakes. 

But soon we climbed the peak fully and the kids gave me a big stack of cards, saying their goodbyes… and then a cake with the writing “We will miss you!” on top.  [sigh]  Uh oh, I can feel the car dropping and my hair beginning to fly back and… wheeeee… we all group hug and one by one whispers upward “I love you”, “I love you Pastor Melany”…. I love you too partners.  I love you too.

While I was down there, I figured it was as good as time as ever to pass through the doors to the Point Youth Lounge & Diner where the youth were waiting to toss a barrage of questions to me.  “So why do you have to leave anyway?!” started off the conversation.  After a lengthy explanation of what the call into ordained ministry is all about and how Jesus never stayed in just one community but instead went where God called and where needs arose, they hit me with the second question.  Uh oh… I didn’t feel this one coming… as the coaster began its jerky climb back to the top… clink, clank, clink, clank…

“So what about baptism? What’s that all about?”  Baptism?? Oh my!! I would love to share with you about baptism!! This conversation led to one of our youth asking boldly “So will you baptize me this Sunday?!”  YES!!  Whew!  We hit the peak again!!  “And me?... and me?... and me??”  Oh yes! And yes! And yes!  So we set our plans and I left the lounge on cloud nine!  But, by Friday night, the cart not only tipped over the top, but without any warning whatsoever it plummeted down the other side to the pits of my stomach and broke my heart and the hearts of many others.  Two of the youth who sat across from me just a few nights before had been in a horrific car accident, and they were life flighted to U of M Hospital.  They both remained unconscious more than 24 hours later… a cracked skull, internal bleeding, emergency surgery… oh my…

Sunday morning: the update arrives and both have opened their eyes!! Yes! We begin the ascent once again and my last worship at CUMC begins as we share the fantastic news and we sing together, and we pray together, and we laugh together and we end up baptizing nine of our children and youth.  Talk about a ride!!  Of course, the others would have to wait, but the light they sparked just a few nights before lit up the baptisms we were able to have… and will keep the others warm until they are well.  And then we went downstairs for an incredible Open House with family, and friends from the community, from the Free Store, and from CUMC all in attendance.  We ate, and ate, and ate some more. Did I mention the chocolate fountain?! Oh yah.  Talk about the heights of roller coaster riding!  … and then they began to line up… one after another… after another and another… We hugged, we laughed, and with some, I cried.  How do you say goodbye to a couple hundred of your favorite people all at the same time?  Slowly, I suppose.  Very slowly…

Later that night I rejoined the youth for a rockin’ concert and then early the next morning I joined my colleague who is retiring from Marshall UMC. He and I, my husband and the Praise Band there all walked together in the Memorial Parade… a parade that honors endings… all while walking toward a new beginning.  And the roller coaster continues. 

So I have thought long and hard when asked if I would continue my writing here in the County Press.  But I think it is time to let go here too.  Your responses have touched my heart.  We have helped others together.  What a joy to be allowed into your lives.  But there will be others jumping into the car here… and the rails will begin clicking and clacking… and what a ride it will be! 


I will likely continue my writing at www.pastormelany.blogspot.com for any of you die hards, and I most always post links on my Facebook wall.  So onward my ride goes.  Next stop: Marshall.  Keep being who you are.  Keep serving those in need.  Keep loving God and others.  In His hands I leave you all.  It’s been one heck of a ride!  

No comments:

Post a Comment