Monday, February 13, 2012

Haiti 2012, Day 5: I Said "Take Sabbath"

The day started out bright and early as everyone on the team was eager to get to work on the new project. By 8 am, everyone was dressed, fed, and ready to go. We were surprised to have spaghetti and spam for breakfast, along with fresh bananas, peanut butter covered bread, and some really, really, really, sweet coffee. But I have to say, we were all highly impressed, except for the coffee. So the team went around the back side of the Methodist complex to the new work site. Last year we walked a good half hour to the site each day, down and up another mountain. It is nice to just walk out back and be ready to go. Considering my and Pastor Craig's calves are killing us, thank you Jesus! I guess pastors sit too much.

I packed up all my art supplies and tools for the projects I had planned and had them all lined up on Pastor Paul's porch. The long term missionary interns, Ash and Stephanie, would be joining. I definitely couldn't get it all there myself with one suitcase weighing about 35 pounds, another at 20, and two bags weighing about the same. I got antsy waiting for our 8:30 departure, so I headed over to get a few morning pics of the work site before heading out. It was a delight to see the team all carrying re-rod and lumber to the site. Local Haitian workers were everywhere, already at work. It is amazing how many jobs have been created by this project. If I heard them right, they will have full time employment for the entire year! I can't remember the number, but I will get it and share it with all of you. It is impressive to see.



I knew I was pushing into my travel time, so I headed back around the front of the complex to find my good old friend Harold. He interpreted for us last year when the team separated into two different work sites, and we got along great. Harold was born in Haiti but lived in the US for many years with his family. He moved back a few years ago because he missed the vista and slower pace to raise his family. He's around my age and has a painful limp so he is drove around on a moto (motorcycle). I didn't see Stephanie or Ash yet and it was nearing 9, when we begin the first day of art lessons, so Harold offered to take the two large bags on the moto and I headed out with the other two. The Artisans complex is just maybe a 15 minute walk, so I could pull off without much fanfare.

When I arrived, two of the artists were on site and it didn't take long for another 16 or so to arrive behind them. I had a lot to set up and Harold had a quick errand so I told him to go ahead and I'd be fine. His quick errand ended up taking 2 hours and I definitely wasn't going to pull this one off! But God is good, cause Stephanie showed up like she was riding a white horse and wearing a white hat! She was fantastic! She helped me show the artists each of the possible projects and what tools would be needed for each. I then asked them to take a look at them all and let me know which one excited them the most. That would be the one we would start with today.

It was a resounding answer for today's project: petite family dolls. Now when I say petite, I mean petite. Each doll is no taller than one inch. Similar to South America's worry dolls, these had match stick size bodies covered in fabric and embroider floss. But they are different in nationality and purpose. We chose very bright Haitian cottons in a multitude of colors and prints and the hair was made by dipping the tip of the doll into a mixture of earth and black paint. It gave a wonderful texture that looked very authentic. The artists really seemed to enjoy the technique. Little belts were tied around the boys at waist high and the girls got a bow higher up under their breast. A metal finding was pushed through the top and once it dries, we'll be grouping them on cord in different family sets as a reminder to pray for your family members. So dads and moms were a little taller and boys and girls came in various shorter heights. The ladies really seemed to enjoy the project. They would get chatting so loud it was almost like a party!

I left home feeling just a little odd, but not sick. I've been to Haiti enough to listen to my body and trust that odd can easily become all out tossing cookies and living in the outhouse sick. So I brought my antibiotic along, just in case. In case happened. Within an hour of arrival, I was going down hill fast. I continued to instruct the women with the next step, as I could, and then would run outside for a while, and then return and repeat. Eventually, it was hard to stand and the cold sweats had begun. The artisans made me up a beautiful bed with gentleness and care, so I laid down for a bit. When I heard the chatter lower, I would simply drag myself back to the work room and give them a few more instructions for the next step. Harold was back and doing awesome in helping me get across the instructions in break neck speed. He would repeat my instructions in my stead, when I was off doing my thing again. Finally, just before noon, Harold told me he had called Pastor Paul for a moto to pick me up. Although I declined, Pastor Paul insisted...and a good call he made.

The afternoon only got worse and worse and I spent the rest of the day in bed. Was able to roll out about 7 pm and actually sit upright on the porch. Moved to saltines and coke about 5 and we were still friends. So pics are few today and info on the other team's work site will have to come from...well, the rest of the team! So here goes their sharing:

This is Whitney, Kelsey, Nina, and Jaime from Musac, Haiti, so if we don't sound fancy smanshy it's because it's us and not Melany. So today began with spam & delicous spaghetti, hot sauce of course, mangerines, the good kind of bread, sugary coffee, and pineapple juice stuff. We ate up and headed out to the Merlet Center. Things started off slow but hey man, it's Haitian time, ya gotta love it. Paul prayed with us all and then the "travay," or work consumed us. We moved really biiiig boards of wood and rebar from the HAPI complex ALLLL the way to the worksite. (really close actually) We watched as they started to compact all the foundation in the center of the building that is where we found our job of hailing dirt to the low spots. etc. ect. This is now Kelsey's journal entry:

"Today we moved lots of sandy dirt to all of thee low spots so they could use the Wackernueson to pound the dirt down on the whole floor and inside of all the footers. We also sifted this dirt into a rocky pile and a soft sand pile for cement mixing in the days to come. We felt very accomplished and like we had lots of fun by the end of the work day when the whistle sounded. Now I am sitting on the porch listening to Doris take a break from her homework to tease her sister Majena. Jaime is practicing Creole with Whit with her offical book. Now, we are going to the Pavillion to hang out.

Later, I headed up to the boys room to charge my phone so I could listen to music. While I was there, I saw Melany getting must needed rest. :) I also just saw the guys chilling out and sat with my dad for awhile. we all talked together until another delicious dinner was ready. We had dark rice and beans tonight with plantans, french fries, chicken, and that amazing red sauce. Now that dinner is done there is an intense Uno game going on at the table as the adults settle into their places for the evening."

Now we are typing on the porch and Haitians are confusing us as they copy every word we say, but in Creole. We are making them say fake words, like Nina's language. Yeah so peace out American. We love Haiti! We are blessed beyond belief. God bless <3

No comments:

Post a Comment