Monday, February 20, 2012

Haiti 2012, Day 12: Orevwa, My Friends, Orevwa...

No one much wanted to get up this morning. Long week of work. Sun at the beach yesterday. Last day here... all of the above. But breakfast was served anyway as the work site was calling, and soon the artisans would show at the co-op expecting a teacher. I had my first cappuccino since leaving Michigan this morning. I bought a pack of cocoa powder at market yesterday in anticipation of this moment. A stiff Haitian coffee, plus a half packet cocoa, two flat teaspoons of powdered milk, and a half teaspoon of cane sugar... voila! Cappuccino!! I was so impressed.

Team was on task to get the last two footings in for the two additional structural posts and I was on mission to get our last lesson in: acrylic painting. So they were off on their way and Steph and I were off on ours. Once at the co-op, we got right to task. I gave a demonstration on how to measure and cut precise sizes of canvas for orders that have been made through Lorelei in the States. One was horizontal and the other vertical; each to be a sewn insert in a clutch purse to be sold in the states. I went over relentlessly how to check and double check measurements and how to make a pattern that will be used over and over again, each time keeping to the original specs. Each of the students had an opportunity to cut one and have it inspected for quality and accuracy to specs. They did great.

By afternoon, we were ready to paint. So I gave some instruction on creating and painting still lives. Many Haitians paint landscapes. Nothing is wrong with landscapes, but after a while, they all kind of look the same. So there was a request for more still lifes, miniature glimpses of life in Haiti. So I set up three separate stills in the co-op. One was a chair with a few vessels sitting on the seat and at the floor in front of the one leg. There was also some fabric hung over the back of the chair. The second was a table top still with a painting, some baskets, a purse, and some jewelry. And the third still was outside. It was also a chair, but under a tree with a rug laying over the seat, a piece of artwork on the floor, and a couple purses. At first they didn't quite get it. But after several example sketches, they began to sketch... and soon... still life after still life was taking hold.

So we broke out the paint and the next several hours was spent doing nothing but painting. We passed around crackers and cookies, as we giggled and talked and painted away. Three of my star students asked if they could sing me a song. It was precious!! Steph told me the lyrics were beautiful. They sung about how we would be leaving each other, them staying here and me going back home, and how they would cry but there is no water. Awwwww... my heart was so warmed. Ash caught most of it on film, and I got a bit also. What a moment to keep tight in my palm, hand clasped around it. These same three ladies also gave me a piece of their jewelry, as a gift. I will cherish each and wear them with great memories.


It took a while to unload all the supplies and tools into the artisan co-op supply room, but eventually my suitcases were empty. Our team donated all the items as a gift to the artisans and encouragement to keep on creatin' awesome stuff! Darryl and Dwain showed up again, thinking I had gotten lost. I had seen the girls earlier as they stopped in on a moto ride and asked them to let Darryl know, but seems they were having too much fun to remember. So the guys were patient as I finished up and then they walked me home.

Dinner was waiting as we arrived. Delicious, as always. Beef tonight... and incredible beef, at that. Plus several side dishes that were scrumptious. Pastor Paul asked if I would take some pics of the Shalom Singers for Jerry to use in the album cover, so off I went on a photo shoot. We took some great pics of the group and then encouraged them to take single portraits. It was great fun watching their faces as they tried not to smile, but instead be all serious. Way funny.

As soon as I finished, Ash and Steph were ready for our exit interview. We had some instructions for customs, as we were transporting 8 extra suitcases full of the messenger bags for General Conference. Then Steph walked us through 8 questions about our stay. Once we were done, the girls headed off to carnival in Mizak, the guys finished up some packing and leader duties, and I sat down to finish my thoughts and this year's blog. Tomorrow will be a long 18 hour day of travel. We will leave Mizak at 6 am, arriving in Port au Prince about 10 am. Our plane leaves the airport at 1:20, arriving in Miami at 3:40 pm. After customs and dinner, we depart at 7:50 and arrive back in Detroit around 10:30 pm. Most of us should be in our beds (after a hot shower!) by about 1 am on Ash Wednesday.

Another trip to Haiti comes to an end. Each will have their own stories. This was simply mine. May God continue to bless the Haitian people, bringing hope and new life to one community after another. May Mizak and the HAPI complex be especially blessed as they lead a self-less life, encouraging others to learn, grow, and become integral parts of their own community. I am blessed to be their friend. I am filled.

With one foot still here... the other reaches across the ocean as I begin thinking more and more about my grandchildren, seeing my kids, and leading my congregation and community in worship Wednesday evening. I think about wiping ashes across their foreheads and I am blessed again. To serve is to serve... in Mizak, Haiti or in Concord, MI. It's the people and their stories that impact us most... and those have no boundaries. Orevwa, my dear friends in Haiti, orevwa...

No comments:

Post a Comment