Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Nation Worth Leaving Behind


It is that time again.  Political signs have been on the street corners for months.  News stations have been fueling the fires daily, repeatedly, unceasingly.  Friends on Facebook have been clearly taking their stand and emails have been filling our inboxes with woes and warnings.  I’m ready for the election to arrive and our lives to get back on track. 

I am glad we are a democratic nation, one where we the people are allowed and even encouraged to join in the conversation when it pertains to our government.  I guess what I don’t like is the tone and the propaganda.  As Americans, we used to be able to have conversations about our political ideals, share our thoughts, and actually hear the other person’s thoughts all at the same time.  It’s almost as though we have forgotten why we became democratic in the first place.  One view government was not something we wanted to retain. 

I honestly hope we can return to our roots before we pull them all up and they die.  I know when I pull up a plant to replant it elsewhere, depending on the weather, I can get away with a few days or even a week before replanting… but that is really pushing it.  The roots need to be deeply embedded in the soil in order to not dry out, to be protected from harm, and to put all their effort into providing what the plant needs.  If we pull our roots as a nation and leave them exposed too long, I’m afraid those roots will dry up, as well.  We will be America, but not the America we were founded on. 

As a Christian, I have to always begin with Christ’s life and teaching.  So I do my best to line up issues and proposals to scripture.  And if scripture doesn’t address that particular issue, then I try to see underlying Christian principles that may apply.  I also try hard to listen to other views.  The reality is, I just might learn something… something that could help me make my decision more wisely.  I also lean on the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament.  For instance, when I get an email that is claiming something awful about a candidate or an issue, the first thing I do is Google it and run it through fact checkers like snopes.com.  If it is filled with false statements and has rearranged truths in order to produce a specific emotional outcome, I stamp it as it should be: propaganda.  And then I delete it.  That whole “Do not give false testimony” command is a real one. 

Ultimately, I cannot pretend to understand all the intricacies of any given election.  I’m not in politics for a reason.  I wouldn’t want any of their jobs.  Rarely is an issue black or white and the grays affect so many, I cannot imagine the burden these office holders carry.  Maybe what we could do more than anything these next few days before the election is this: listen more and talk less.  Pray every time we hear an argument, whether on social media, television, radio, or in our local diner, and ask God to give us all wisdom...  and then be quiet and just listen for God to answer.  No matter who wins this election, we’re going to need wisdom if we are serious about getting back to our roots and leaving a nation for our children’s children that they, and Christ, can be proud of.  

And don’t worry.  I won’t disdain you, make statements about you not being a Christian, or claim that you are being unpatriotic, no matter who you vote for.  It’s not who I am.  I hope it’s not who you are too.  See you in line on Election Day!  Our nation is counting on us. 

1 comment:

  1. good post, folks should never be looked down upon for the differences they have in any walk of life. whether it be religion or politics, we should all respect others regardless of those differences.

    oh, btw, thanx for not taking politics to the pulpit.

    ReplyDelete