Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Out For Summer, But Not For Life


I am never too old to learn… and neither are you.  I just returned from a few weeks of Sabbath and then vacation, but am not headed back to work yet.  Instead, I leave on Monday for nearly a week of pastor’s school with over a hundred of my colleagues on the beautiful campus of Michigan State University.  There will be a workshop on how to use Facebook to minister to the unchurched and our own congregations.  There will be others on how to take better care of our bodies, how to manage conflict in our faith communities, and how to use drama as a spiritual discipline.  Bishop Woodie White will be sharing his insights on many of the intersections between race and religion, a conversation that is well needed in a polarized society of blacks and whites, rich and poor, “conservative Republicans” and “liberal Democrats”.  We live in a seemingly us and them society that isn’t much willing to even have a conversation anymore, not if it means we have to listen to someone else.  And Tom and Dee Yaccino will be teaching us all a thing or two about forming community. They have spent years in South America embedded in the lives of the people they have come to know.  They don’t wait for, or expect, these people to “show up” at the church.  Instead, they expect the church to show up in the lives of those who live in the communities around the church.  What a novel idea. 

I look forward to this school every year because I know I will be stretched, strained, and even worn to the bone by the time the school is over.  I will be expected to listen more than I speak, and talk with others about my reflections.  I will take pages and pages of notes and I will begin to make connections between what I will learn and how I will apply it back in my community, my church, and even my life at home.  And this is only one of three to four continuing education events I attend each  and every year as a Christ follower… in addition to ongoing reading and study.  This year one of the professors at Spring Arbor University, Dr. Richard Cornell, will be teaching a Sunday morning class at Concord United Methodist Church on the Book of Revelation.  I can’t wait!  I know I will learn a ton that I did not know before the class began.  We have another adult class that runs throughout the school year, as well.  It walks through a book of the bible, verse by verse, chapter by chapter, page by page.  It’s a great class for beginners who have rarely or never read scripture, or a great discipline for the person who has been reading the bible for years. 

On Sunday evenings, our youth have an opportunity to learn as well.  Free Methodists, Presbyterians, United Methodists, and even teens who don’t attend a church, all come together on Sunday evening to SECYM (Seek Him or Sunday Evening Community Youth Ministry).  They learn how to live with others who are different than themselves, how to serve others who are in greater need even than they are, and how to live like Jesus did when he was walking this earth.  It’s a daunting task. 

In just a few weeks, we’ll be kicking off our classes for kids as well.  Sunday mornings we have a couple of classes that teach kids how Jesus lived, and on Wednesday evenings we go a step further and claim how Jesus lived for ourselves.  Living like/for Jesus is a choice, you know.  It’s a choice when you are five and it’s a choice when you are fifteen.  And honestly, it’s a choice when you are fifty five or even seventy five.  As Christ followers, our learning never stops.  We can never really know all who God is, even with the example of Jesus… so we keep learning… we keep reading… we keep listening… and we keep growing.  Or we don’t.  What choice will you make as another summer comes to a close and a whole new plethora of opportunities fall into your lap?

No comments:

Post a Comment